Sep 18, 2007

Colder Water and Air

Last year around this time I received helpful information from other members about gear for colder weather paddling. I want to extend the assistance to newer paddlers who might be thinking their paddling days have ended (and by the way, what did happen to the heat and humidity?) Atlantic Kayak Tours website has very helpful info about how to layer, and what to wear in various temp ranges. Bear in mind it's both air and water temps that are important. NRS has been a fairly reliable source of clothing and gear, and right now they are in their "Boaters Bucks" phase, which really just means you get 10% of this season's purchase price to use on next season's purchases (so maybe that's not such a big deal). Anyway, here are the links to the two web sites. I just ordered a hood (brain freeze is never much fun) and some base wear. I already have a Farmer Jane (wet suit) and a dry suit. Mittens or gloves are nice. Check out the AKT info and then figure out what you might need.
http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pages/expertcenter/how-to-dress/How-to-Dress-1.shtml

https://www.nrsweb.com/default.asp

3 comments:

Stevie said...

The best paddling time of the year is from Sept through December in NYC.

Get the cold water gear and see what your missing.

Also as the days get shorter a waterproof LED running light becomes more important.

Don't be affraid of not being able to see after dark, the city lights up your way. But remember that motor boats can't see you if you don't have lights.

bonnie said...

I really think that that AKT Expert Pages is one of the best general information things on the web. I was pretty blown away the first time I browsed it.

bonnie said...

wait - I should expand that to say best general KAYAKING information things THAT I HAVE FOUND on the web. I honestly don't spend a whole lot of time browsing the web for general kayak info - I like reading other paddlers' stories & seeing their picture, but for basic how-to/what-to, I've got a couple of good books at home & I guess I'm still old-fashioned enough that I tend to look in those.

I actually did a kayak safety table once for MKC - I basically loaded ALL my safety gear into my old Seda Glider & then put the boat & the gear on the table, all labelled, and then stood there & answered people's question. It was run by a local branch of the US Power Squadrons so it was actually rather interesting seeing the powerboaters' reactions.

Of course the ironic thing was that to get to the safety symposium, I paddled solo across the Hudson 4 times - 2 days, over & back once per day.

Anyways, the point was that I brought all my books along and they were in the display as safety gear, just as important to safe paddling as flares or a VHF. Maybe even moreso for day to day stuff.

Bill & Janice have done quite a service by posting all that knowledge.